RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Type
Thread: Fuel Type
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 AM
nofords

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Type

ORIGINAL: KNahinu

I don't know about where you live, but here I heard that we can get non ethanol gas from the boat fueling dock. I was at a local small engine repair shop and the ethanol is causing alot of carb related problems it's eating away some of the seals in the carb. I'm not sure what seals and unsure how long it takes for the problems to araise.

generally this is found in higher concentrations of ethanol like E85 as an example. What the actual problem with ethanol blends is that it will remove any varnish from old gasoline fuels left in the lines and tank. This cloggs fuel filters (a good thing) but if any varnish (that yellow gummy stuff found in cars that sit for a month or two) is found in fuel bowls of carbs or even on the accelerator pump diaphragm in the carb it tends to clog jets and journals in the carbs. If the engine is at higher rpms, the varnish letting go in a 75-100gph fuel pumps found in some larger engines will actually pinhole diaphrams and gaskets within carbs and fuel injectors causing the deterioration described above. 'generally' 10% blend will barely soften a gasket/seal except where an ageing one currently exists. I've been running 10% blend for eons and w/o concern. Start running 35% or more blends, then think twice...