RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing wing panels together
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Clay Walters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglassing wing panels together

Reckon I'm just a bungler. Because I wasn't satisfied with the fit-up of two wing halves I decided to reinforce the joint with a wrap of fiberglass tape and finishing resin. Having read that finishing resin was better because it saturated the cloth better and sanded better than standard epoxy I'd hoped to be able to sand it smooth and hopefully be slightly noticable under the monokote.

I spread a thin lay of resin down, lay cloth on it, and used the brush to gently work the cloth into the resin. Then I followed with a squeege with a dummy credit card just like I'd read so many times about doing. Trouble was, I had a number of spots that just didn't wish to stay down. Rolled the wing over and did the other side which went much better and then back over to work down the "bubbles". Finally everything seemed to be setting smooth and straight so I turned off the lights to let it cure up.

Next morning I discovered each and every one of those "bubbles" managed to come back up and no amount of sanding other than sanding it all off is going to clear the mess I've got. I don't even know if monokote will stick to the stuff when smooth much less when bumpy. I used an exacto knive to remove the bubbles and have sanded till I'm sick of it. This things gonna look like a wart covered pig presuming it will cover at all.

And I don't find the finishing resin much easier to sand than regular 30 minute epoxy.

Sign me disgusted,

Clay