RCU Forums - View Single Post - Oil Poly. vs Water Poly. vs Finishing Resin
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil Poly. vs Water Poly. vs Finishing Resin

ORIGINAL: bigtim

the Varathane Diamond is available in Qt and 1/2Pt sizes but you probably have to get it at a paint store where I usually buy it i Qts, I have purchased it at Home depot in the smaller Qt sizes but the larger sizes are for floor finish applications, its main porpose.

in Calif.the VOC Volitile Organic Content,essentally is the resin base and dryers in paint.

water based paint utilizes the same amount of VOC to do a better job,in Ca its 250GPL(grams per litre)the water based paints are using chemicals that are more effective in the regulated VOC range.
oil based paints need a higher VOC to be affectivive, to dry out the resins used in there base, making it harder to make a viable product out of the oil base,with the present restrictions,in our state.
the result is eventually a higher resin content and slower dry times which is part of the reason you see the yellowing from the OBPaints,many painters add rapid evaporating thinners like MEK,or laquer thinner to help with the drying process which tecnically is illegle.
being a contractor in Ca.were required to be on top of the regs,also disposal of product and reducers(thinners)

This guy seems like somebody you might want to listen to. Wow. What a great summary!