RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official Airboat classes!
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
mjderstine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Airboat classes!

My 2 cents. as a elec user.

Elec motors can have huge performance differences from one motor to the other. Most of the performance comes from the wattage, recommended voltage, gear reduciton drives, current draw of the batteries, number of cells, types of cells, wiring of the cells, and capabilities of the ESC.

It would be easiest to have stock classes much like they have in rc cars for brushed motors. 19 turn 27 turn, and modified. That would make it a bit easier for the brushed airboat guys. But honestly, most airboats are going to have brushless motors because of the high amount of power the can put out. In my own personal experience you can purchase a very high quality brushless setup that can have 1 hp to 3 hp depending on the number of cells and current/ wattages. The number of cells (volts) would have to be regulated in order to keep things as equal as possible. The large operating windows these motors has is also a big difference. I believe if the brushless airboats ever catch on most guys would be at the maximum regulations for each class, but determining the limiting factors is paramount.

I agree elecs should be divided more on size and hull type because two guys can have two very different motors that put out the same overall performance on identical hulls and vice versa. An in runner will have a much higher RPM than an outrunner, leading to reasonably higher prop speeds.

to start hulls should be divided into classes for elecs. Brushed should be separate from brushless. Other than that i think it should be open season on setups until we start to see a larger number of elec guys out there who actually start competing at the speed and course competitions. in the end the differences in motor types and battery cells counts will become obvious leading to discernible classes.

Any thoughts?