RCU Forums - View Single Post - aerodynamics
Thread: aerodynamics
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Oasis TR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: aerodynamics

I raced 1/10 touring cars (mostly carpet but some asphalt) and it may not seem like aerodynamics would play much of a role especially on a small carpet track. But it was HUGE, just running a different style of body would make a big difference in lap times (I practiced 4 times a week anywhere from 6 to 12 hours a day..so I tested a lot..lol). As far as a Truggy goes it's hard to explain but I'll try..when your buggy or truggy is in flight try to think of it as if it was on a pendulum balanced in the center.. it does not take that much down force to move it..it does seem to help keep the truggy level in flight..I race a ST-RR and the rear wing is held on by body clips, on a long main one of the clips came off so the wing was moving all over the place, it made such a huge difference in the way the truggy handled I had to come into the pits and fix it (put another clip on it..lol)..It would not jump straight if it was off to one side it would actually try to barrel roll..just a handful to drive..this is how I know that it makes a bigger difference than what some would think..I'm not all that great in mathematics but I at least understand the basic theory's of what your trying to say..but we forget velocity and the down-force it creates..The acceleration that RC cars generate is basically unseen in the "real" world of auto racing, the closest thing that i can think of is F1 cars..this is why some of the basic automotive theories on aerodynamics have a hard time crossing over to RC cars..the performance of the RC cars/trucks we have nowadays is simply amazing if you put everything in perspective..