RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 08:29 PM
d_wheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Also did some testing Sunday. It was 90 degrees in the shade here so it seemed like a good time to get some readings. Took the canopy off of one of my 25%'rs and placed a wireless outdoor thermometer sensor inside. In the shade it read 90 degrees (of course). Placed it in the direct sun and watched it start climbing. 1 and 1/2 hours later it topped out at 125 degrees. Simply laying a white paper towel on top of the canopy caused it to immediately start dropping. 30 minutes later it was down to 105. After placing it in the shade, the temp came back down to ambient.

With this result, I am going to continue flying my FASST equipment without fear of heat problems. It will remain in the shade when on the ground, and since the aircraft is vented I am not worried about it getting to hot in the air (I fly electric and the venting helps keep the battery temps within reason). Just to play it safe, I will be carrying a recording thermometer on board to satisfy myself that temps aren't getting out of hand in flight. Will let everyone know the readings when available.

Personally, if I had an airplane that had temps rising to 160 degrees on the ground (as I understand this is the temperature that causes the receiver to quit working) I would do something to bring that down even if I were not having problems. That is WAY beyond a reasonable temperature and needs to be avoided.

Later;

D.W.