RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications
Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris
............................ I'm considering using 3 1/2" Robart scale wheels. But I'm not sure if they will fit, with the foam inserts.
.................................................. .............
I'm missing my wing anti-rotation dowl, and forward wing, hold down dowls..........................
Bob: I would think that the Robart 3 1/2" wheels would work, or any just about any 3 1/2" wheels for that matter. Any bigger than that tho will present some problems.
My nylon wing dowels (3) are in a bag with other small parts, such as wing bolts, control horns, etc.

Installing the Flaps
I installed the flaps (and ailerons) today, and I must say: I think the instructions leave something to be desired concerning flap installation. My biggest concern is that no mention is made on how deep into the flaps the hinges should be installed. It is obvious that the hinge line are 'sunk' into the flaps some, but how far (deep)? The instructions just tell you more or less push them in as far as they will go, trial fit to the wing (making sure that the flaps can be moved to within 1/64" of the wing trailing edge), then epoxy them on.
In my opinion: it is important that all 3 hinges be mounting in such a way that they hinge points (C/L of the hinge, or the center of the part that moves) are lined up with each other. If they aren't: they will 'fight' each other when the flaps are lowered. Altho slight mis-alignment will probably not cause any problems, I chose to install mine the following way:
I installed them onto the wings first, with the alignment tab points even with the trailing edge on the inboard ones, halfway between the point tips and where the tabs meet the round part of the hinges (on the hinge 'bearing' side) for the middle hinges, and with the tabs completely in the wing on the outermost hinges. This should keep them all in a straight line, with the outer ones having the movable parts sticking out slightly less, to go along with a shorter chord of the flaps toward the out ends.
Then I applied the Vaseline as the instructions suggested, and epoxied the flaps onto the hinges.

I hope that makes sense, I really don't have the time to read and re-read and try to make it more clear, maybe someone else can make sense of it and try to explain better.

Pictured are the flap hinges: exactly like Robart Hinge Points, only different (a term used by Japanese: exactly same, only different).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24882.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	954880