RCU Forums - View Single Post - Towing gliders to altitude, risky?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 AM
seanpcola
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Towing gliders to altitude, risky?

Actually, it's not that risky and in some ways much easier on the sailplane than winching. To qualify what I am saying about it not being risky:

It does require a certain amount of experience and knowledge.

Polyhedrial sailplanes can be towed though not ideal. Ailerons give you the roll control without yaw input. While being towed roll and pitch will be what you need to concentrate on. A properly placed tow release will "basically" keep the glider in line behind the tow plane. The sailplane pilots main job will be to keep wings level and in position vertically behind the tug, ideally slightly above the tug and to maintain clearance i.e. keeping the line tight and distance to the tug. Poly planes will do as mentioned in kwmtrubrit's post (howdy K!!). Usually that is caused by too much speed. Nice and slow is the key on the 2 channel stuff.

Both models (tug and glider) have to have a means of release. If one pilot gets into trouble, then the other has the option of aborting the tow. Ideally it should be the glider but various things (malfunction, sailplane pilot freezing up at a critical moment, etc.) can and do happen. The releasse on the glider should be located fairly close to the front. On the tug, the release should be at wing trailing edge, top of fuse, NOT in the tail as in full scale.

da Rock makes a couple of good points. A cradle is an option. Anyone wanting to get into aerotowing would be best served by having some experienced help and watching people do it before trying it alone. However, got to take issue with us aerotow guys being called idiots. I will assume you said that in jest. We tow a lot and frankly do less damage to our stuff than when you get a bunch of guys together standing hard on the pedal winch launching.

I have seen (and been one) a ton of guys experience their first aerotow as the glider guider and universally after landing the statement was that it was much easier than they expected. Almost a letdown after all of the nervous anticipation. Having said that, again, you really would be better off to come to an aerotow meet, watch, ask questions and if you have a plane ready for tow, get an experienced flyer to stay with you through the first few tows to point out stuff, teach some tricks and help you if things do go wrong.

Don't know where you live in PA but we will be towing at Triple Tree (Woodruff, SC) in September. Do a search under Joe Nall for exact date and driving directions. Come out and we will get ya' started!

Oh yeah, Rock you can come too!