RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.4 ghz radios??????????
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 06:46 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4 ghz radios??????????

Wow, the start of a new series......

There has been another one going for quite sometime on the Airtronics 2.4. One of the nice things is that Mike Greenshields, the Global Hobbies Product Manager answers a lot of questions.

There is a good review in the latest issue of Model Aviation, by Bob Aberle on the Airtronics unit also. Plus it gives a brief overview of the other brands and how they all work.

The overwhelming majority of them out there are probably the Spektrums, since they have been on the market the longest. Everyone I talk to with one, say they are great, however, I have seen a lot of threads on RC Universe bringing up issues with them, the latest on using amplified Y harnesses.....this is on the Home page of RC Universe.

I have been flying the Airtronics 2.4 for a few weeks and have really gotten to like it. I had Airtronics way back, but they seemed to have fallen behind in new radios, so my last 3 were JR's. They were all good, but the JR 2.4's are too expensive for me. The Airtronic 2.4 was available at Tower for less than $200 with their internet specials, etc, so I got one with 2 receivers.

The Airtronics is really easy to program. And I like to be different....there are about half dozen Spektrums at my field. I have seen zero Futaba ones, but I am sure they are out there. Each is going to have a few pluses and minuses. Don;t know about the others, but the Airtronics is set up for airplanes, helis, and sailplanes.....one unit for all. Eight channels should be plenty, but there is supposed to be a 10 channel unit coming in 2009.

One thing to keep in mind is the Airtronics only comes with the transmitter, receiver and wall charger. Use whatever servos and battery packs you are familiar with. That way you can fit your own situation the best since everyone seems to have favorites.

Good luck

Bel Air Bob