RCU Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Blade Tracking Problem - Suggestions or Help Appreciated
Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Yarm6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interesting Blade Tracking Problem - Suggestions or Help Appreciated

Hi Guys-
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I worked on my heli today and think I have it pretty much fixed. It boiled down to two problems (one was more major than the other). First, I think I had my washout plastic “A” arms and Ti turnbuckles on the wrong balls on the swash. I had the tracking adjustment linkages on the balls that stick out further and the washout arms on the balls closer to the swash. This should be reversed. I just never noticed this until today!

Second, was what Ken and funflier were talking about. I broke down my head and as I was doing it, I noticed that the two black flathead screws were not fully inserted into the flybar center holder and were not tight at all. I tried to seat the bearings so they would support the small frail shaft on the flybar center, but as they got closer, I couldn’t tighten up the screw without binding. Once I moved the bearings back slightly and tightened up the screws, tracking instantly improved! Thanks for your help and suggestions. I can’t believe what a difference the tightness of these screws on the flybar center holder makes on tracking.

I did check my thrust bearing order. I have a neat screwdriver that fits perfectly. It lets the larger ID washer fall down, and keeps the smaller ID washers up higher, so that’s the way I tell. Good trick about the free play on a feathering shaft.

Jh – great video, I found that out the hard way on several crashes that on old center holder parts, I had a fractured pivot and didn’t know it, but my tracking was horrible. Replaced the part and it improved dramatically.

Zim – Wow, what a great mod. I bet you never have to replace those stupid flybar center holders. I’ve gone through a bunch already. I am a mechanical engineer and can get Align feathering shafts, so I’ll have to try it. If I screw it up, it just is one flybar center holder. No big deal. I love tinkering with these things.

Thanks everyone again for your help!

Happy flying!

Dave