RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are radio impounds a thing of the past?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:17 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Are radio impounds a thing of the past?

We actually need to be MORE careful right now- It is a dangerous time during transition. At this time you have a number of pilots that have not fully migrated over to 2.4. That is to say they may have one or two of their planes on 2.4 and one or two others on 72. If they get used to flying a few flights that day on 2.4, never having to get the pin or checking the frequency, landing gear checks etc. they may get lax. Then they decide to fly the plane that is still on 72 , pop out the SS mod and put in the 72 module and forget to get the pin.......... Scott
I agree totally with this.
I am sad to say that I will not fly at an event that does not impound all radio's. I have already seen it happen where somebody is at the field with 3 or 4 airplanes and a couple of transmitters, one is on 2.4, the other is 72. They are so used to the convenience of 2.4, that the 72 was switched on without thinking, checking, or pinning, and another airplane was shot down.
Further to that, in Canada anyway, we are only supposed to have 5 airplanes in the air at any given time. With the radio impound this is easy to police, but without, what's to stop 8 or 9 guys from going up at once? I'm not talking jet rallies in particular, just everyday flying.

I have seen where some fields now have adopted a 2nd frequency board for 2.4, there are 5 spaces on the board, and the club holds 5 "flight pins". Whether those pins end up on 2.4 or 72 makes no difference, you cannot fly unless there is an available pin.

I have a 2.4 module in one transmitter, and 72 on a second, they are both 10X's, and both hold all the programs to all my models. Outside of the module/antenna they are virtually impossible to tell apart from each other. As such, I make sure I have a pin on the board everytime so that I force myself to check which radio I have grabbed.

Just my opinion.