RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread
Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread

I apologize for the delay in getting more of this build thread posted. It’s been a pretty hectic week for me and I just haven’t had much time to sit down on a keyboard. But now let’s see if we can’t get the next step in this build going.

To start the bomb bay add-on we’ll need to get access to the bottom of the fuselage, but we’ll be turning the fuselage over a few times as we do this. With the top turret we just installed the fuselage will sit in the provided cradle stand if the guns point to the rear, but it would be possible damage the turret if not careful. The fuselage gets moved around quite a bit for this add-on so I would suggest removing the turret during all of this.

The first step is to mark the centerline of the fuselage bottom. To do this we need to stick a pin through the middle of the stringer directly behind the nose wheel steering servo. Now it’s not difficult to reach in through the cockpit and get the pin behind the steering servo, but getting it in the middle of the stringer can be a bit tricky. Also, if the pin isn’t inserted straight through the stringer it is going to come out off-center for the stringer. I kind of scratched my head on this one to come up with a way to do this accurately, until I realized that you could see the stringer and servo through the hole in the side of the fuselage for the wing wiring to exit from. It’s a bit hard to see it in picture #2, but you can see the angle that you need to look through to see the pin. Once you look through here it’s really easy to make sure that the pin is inserted straight through the stinger. Make sure that the pin goes all the way through and is visible from the bottom of the fuselage. Next the instructions called for placing the cutting template on the centerline, but I felt like this could come out a bit off, so I wanted to more accurately mark the centerline. To do this I went back the tail section of the fuselage and inserted another pin through the centerline of the middle stringer. With these two pins in place I could now accurately mark the centerline of the fuselage using a long straightedge and a Sharpie marker.

Next, measure back 16-1/2” from the first bulkhead on the fuselage and mark this location. This should be approximately 1/8” an inch from the pin we placed behind the steering servo. As you can see in picture #10 this is to allow room for the former we will place in the fuselage during our installation. If there isn’t 1/8” adjust the mark behind the pin to allow for room for the former. This is important, as we need to leave enough room to glue the former in later.

The cutting template is marked for the front and back edges of the template. For the forward edge I cut the excess paper off of the template to make it easier to place it on the mark on the fuselage. Also, at the rear of the template I extended the centerline mark out to make it easier to place the template on the centerline of the fuselage.

Pictures
1. Turn the fuselage over to start the bomb-bay add-on.
2. When placing the pin in the middle stringer look through the hole in the side of the fuselage to aid in installation.
3. Push the pin through the stringer and out of the bottom of the fuselage.
4. Place a pin in the middle stringer at the rear of the fuselage.
5. Use a long straightedge to mark the centerline.
6. Make sure the marks pass through the pins.
7. Measure from the front bulkhead.
8. Measure 16-1/2” and mark the fuselage.
9. The mark should be 1/8” behind the pin.
10. Ensure that there is enough room for the forward former.
11. Cut the template off to aid in placement.
12. Extend the centerline mark to the edge of the paper.

Until next time

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97936.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	993042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85048.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	993043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65376.jpg