Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Dante77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The holy grail: Tamiya Porsche 959 4WD restoration thread

Hi,

this is my latest Tamiya restoration project (one of too many going on at the moment! [sm=drowning.gif]), but it's very special to me. So I wanted to share it with you.

It is Tamiyas 59th model, first released in Oct. 1986: #58059 Tamiya Porsche 959 4WD
Back then it was a technological dream which I drooled about, but never could have afforded. So it stayed a dream until today, when the postman left a decent sized package for me!

The car is a very unique design in a rather small 1/12 scale (pretty unusual for a car like that), but it was packed with everything you could ask for in the mid 80's.
It has shaft driven full time 4WD, reservoir'd aluminium oil shocks and the legendary RX-540VZ Technigold motor as standard. It was crazy fast back then, which usually caused some wear and tear on the cars.
The body is a highly detailed lexan shell, with working headlights and a nice rally-theme interior. The body is extremely fragile and not really UV-stable, so not many original bodies survived. Thats why spare bodies are super rare and insanely expensive!

Here's what it looked like in the Tamiya cataloge back then:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64239.jpg
Views:	1971
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	995538