RCU Forums - View Single Post - More drag - prop spinning at idle or dead stick?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More drag - prop spinning at idle or dead stick?

Hi insalacosm
You have gotten plenty of advice to mull over. The description of your field could fit ours. A factory and trees on one end and another factory at the other end. I try to get my planes so they have no tendency to do a snap roll near stall. I tend to always have a high idle because I believe that is safer. However, if there is no head wind I may be forced to idle down further during the landing. With the right approach and going to idle at the right point in the landing pattern, I use up elevator to lose altitude rapidly. The whole plane can act as an air brake, but you have to watch your wings carefully. If they start waving at you you need to let up on the elevator. I work the throttle as needed to hit the landing point I have chosen, which is always near where I am standing. This gives me a much better perspective of the actual touchdown,. Landings are a big part of the enjoyment of my flying. I believe a lot of people hate the landing part; I know I did when I was learning. I even practice landing with the wind. I started this after a few hairy landings. I had not immediately notice that the wind direction had done a 180 on me. I do not panic if I am going to roll off the end of the field since I know my SPAD planes are usually not damaged. You need to also learn when to abort a landing safely, not in a panic manner. Aborting a landing, or a take off, is part of the whole experience and there are times when that is absolutely the correct thing to do. Thinking about aborts and even practicing them puts you in a better position, mentally, to safely take action when one is neccesary.