RCU Forums - View Single Post - Crash (pics): Lesson Learned today THough. Do your own trimmings!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Sourkraut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crash (pics): Lesson Learned today THough. Do your own trimmings!

HE HE. Sounds way to familiar!! The exact same thing happened to my brother and me. He was maidening his brand new, kit built SIG Hog Bipe last year. He took off and said it was handling wierd. I asked if "he had it" and he said NO. Then I could tell from the panic in his voice that he was in trouble. Let me tell you, things happen way to fast with these aircraft when things go wrong.
Anyway, he yelled out to me to come and help. He said he needed UP TRIM. So I hastelly proceeded to give him up elevator. This had no effect and he was really struggling now to keep it flying. He said "give it some more" and I did . Still way out of control. He said he was going to try and bring it in. But 30 feet above the runway she stalled and SPLAT, nosed in, broke the motor mount and drove the wheel pants through the bottom wing.
After we serveyed the damage we proceeded to see what went wrong. Nothing wrong with the aircraft, just our communication. He was calling for UP TRIM on his TX which would bring his elevator down but I was giving him DOMN on elev.trim which was moving his elev.up. When panic sets in communication can get lost.
Needless to say, I felt like ****, so I took his plane home and fixed it up for him. I was at the REMAIDEN one week later and went nowhere near his TX trims again. He dialed in a little down elev. before he took off and everything went AOK.
Communication is a two way street, but like I said, when panic sets in it can be lost.

Cheers

Curt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97705.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1004127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83499.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1004128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10976.jpg