RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skymaster Gripen ARF Engine Selection
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster Gripen ARF Engine Selection

My Gripen came out about 22 lbs. with a Jet Central Falcon. I would recommend an engine of at least 20 # thrust. Powerwise the Falcon is ideal. I like everything about the engine except the fuel consumption. I fly it half throttle most of the time, and open it up a couple of times during a flight. Maybe there is something wrong with my engine but my average fuel consumption is about 12 oz. per minute.

The three tanks that come with the ARF+ hold a total of 72 oz. (I measured them). I added an extra 15 oz. tank to bring the total capacity to 87 oz. I use a taxi tank and still can't plan more than a 6 minute flight. Last week I put on a 6 minute flight and had one aborted landing approach, so I was in the air about 7 minutes. After taxiing back to the pits I had only a few ounces of fuel left.

My buddy had a Gripen with a Jet Central Eagle (30#) in it. It was overpowered in my opinion. Interestingly his flight times were the same as mine and he very agressive with the throttle.

Of course it depends on what level of performance you are looking for. I've seen videos of Gripens with a 14# turbine in the tail and with a P-70 in the conventional location and wasn't impressed with the performance. The new Jet Central Rabbit or Merlin 90 might be a good match if you keep it light.

Joe