RCU Forums - View Single Post - Birth of a Dreamin' CS: How to build a SEAMLESS fiberglass boat hull
Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Birth of a Dreamin' CS: How it's made

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Why use cloth at all? just use mat its stronger than cloth anyway ?,mat is also cheaper than cloth.Sure cloth looks nicer on the inside but you can get a reasonable finish just using mat in my opinion.
Mart
I use my materials based upon my experimentation with them over the years in the hobby world and autobody work I used to do. Also for the same reasons Dana has mentioned above. Matter of fact, after speaking to Remy at Aeromarine, (lives down the road from me), I'm thinking of just using 2 layers of 6oz cloth only once I run out of my mat supply, and keep the mat for mold construction. Definately woulden't use nearly as much resin and will save lots of weight using cloth only. Currently designing a race boat plug that may use this lay up exclusively. The DCS is basically a "Sport" boat that does weigh a little more than a race hull normally would, however the little extra weight seems to help performance in the rougher water, just as I intended.