RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Stick ARF Build issue
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick ARF Build issue

ORIGINAL: jib

I suspect I should plug the existing bolt holes and redrill them to insure the correct alignment, but I’m not sure and could use some advice about just how critical this alignment really is.

Also, what about materials? If I choose to plug the existing holes and redrill them, should I use a balsa plug or take the opportunity to use a hardwood plug?
What RCKen says...........

And to answer your other questions.........

The alignment really is critical. You've got a good reason to ask for a replacement. But truth is, that'd take longer than fixing the problem.

A couple of suggestions.

Don't make any effort to find a HARDwood dowel. Best bet is to use wood that drills as easily as the wood the dowel will be stuck into. And it helps to use a glue that won't fight the drill. And a sharp drill bit helps.

Why do I offer all this less than important advice? Last year a buddy of mine had the same problem. Where he found the oak dowel is beyond me, but he had a war on his hands. He was sure that he was doing us one better by using the hardest wood possible. None of us had thought to talk about the wood in the dowel.