RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Stick ARF Build issue
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
jib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick ARF Build issue

Ken/Rock, thanks for the lightning fast responses.

I spoke with the folks at Hanger 9 Monday morning and while they will replace the wing, they want to see the old one first. <Grrr> Given that the winter rains will be upon us soon here in Seattle, I want to get the plane in the air relatively fast, so my son can solo yet this year. Plus, shipping a fully assembled wing would be hugely expensive.

The tech at Hanger 9 suggested filling the holes with epoxy or epoxy sawdust mix, but given that the new hole will overlap the old hole, I’m going to plug the holes with standard dowel material and redrill them. Since they are only half a hole off, and I’ll be drilling through two different woods and a glued joint, the suggestion for using a sharp drill is excellent. Thanks for the reminder.

FYI - Oak dowels are available at Home Depot, right next to the ordinary wood dowels. I almost walked out with Oak, since I picked up the first ¼ inch dowel I put my hands on.

. . . and yes, the crash was spectacular. It was a head-on. The Piper Cub took the worst of it in the air. It dropped in at least two large pieces, We spiraled down in one piece. Until we got to the plane, I thought it might be salvageable. My son was heartbroken, as was I. We put a lot of time and effort into getting that “never flown”, garage sale Tiger Trainer into the air and with time, both my son and the plane were doing great. We were both learning on it, but I dropped out to give him more stick time, with the hope that he would solo before the end of summer; a target we did not achieve. We’ll be back on track soon. I’ll get back behind the stick, on a buddy box, soon afterward. I have a lead on a decent used trainer airframe we can build up, for me to learn on and for back up too.

Again, thank you for the speedy help,

Jack