RCU Forums - View Single Post - JAS-39 Gripen Owners/Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Ray Davis
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JAS-39 Gripen Owners/Build Thread

A few things:

I added a spacer on the nose gear (and fabricated a new, longer 'pin') to raise it 3/4", which made rotation much smoother, no longer neededng full elevator and the subsequent 'jump' into the air on TO; I stiffened the main strut springs and greatly increased the oil viscosity (finally using chain lube oil); and filled the tire cavity w/ Gorilla Glue PU. Oh yeah, and a gyro. Now runs straight and true, w/ beautifully damped landings no matter how hard your 'carrier' landings might be.

Struts/gear/tires very nice stuff.....but a good solid tire would be better in every way. C'mon SM!

Check your 'live hinges'...mine (ARF-Plus, purchased 16 months ago) deteriorated before even my first flight, by just flexing them through their range. They became loosened and 'screen door-like' w/ an increasing gap; some of those threads began breaking. I notified SM, they were more than happy to replace the wings, but I chose to repair w/ Robart hinge points (the knuckle just shows through the top wing surface. Looks good.)

Six flights, then my 8-year old engine seized on TO, minor damage. But, I noted the rudder hinge is now 'loose/sloppy' as well. Repairs, lights, ordinance, weathering over the winter....

Check your hinges!

Ray