RCU Forums - View Single Post - Commin' Back from 1995 RC. need advice
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 01:52 PM
s0nicstr1fe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commin' Back from 1995 RC. need advice

I was 12 years old the last time I owned, operated or took place in any events. My last build was a Tamyia Blackfoot thats still sitting in a box somewhere in storage. I own a few others including an old school Team Losi Belt driven buggie and a real peice of work from my uncle who built a 4wd chain driven buggie in college for an engineering project.

They are all collecting dust. I sold the recivers & radios back in 2003 to help me pay for some damage to my car (drifing my dialy driver) :P

I feel as if I left the fun behind and in the proccess I missed a lot of information.

Well, the other day a new hobby shop went up in my area and decided to take a look when I noticed they were drifting little AE86's and RX-7's around an indoor track.
I was F***Kin floored!!! Instantly I started looking into a new sled to get into this drifting.
I asked a few questions and the guy recommended me some ready to run systems(meh.. I enjoy building them though...) Showed me some HPI cars e10 with upgraded Drive shafts he used from Tamyia he was selling them without ESC or electronics for around 90-100 bucks a pop. Instantlly I'm thinking in my head "Who the heck is HPI??"

I did my research and found my old friend Tamyia! the TT-01 became my target. Reason being is because I have no fear of doing my own build up. Second because I found that the same HPI e10 was a gamble you may or may not have a crud load of issues and intermitten 4wd is out of the question. Third, I could build up a Tamyia(my trusted choice in quality and reliability for years) For roughly the same price with officiall parts to upgrade to, plus it includes an ECS in most kits.

As many people who like the e10 there are just as many who say to stay away, plus some of the guys at the indoor track here will tease your e10. So far everyone has recommended the TT01.

I made a friend at the track who is willing to part with his TT-01 he used for Touring. Hes upgraded the brushings, Gears and it has an Alloy drive shaft. 95 bucks flat and hes tossing in a IS300 body with a light kit. I checked it out, and its been used maybe 1 time indoors. He says for a test run for a TCS event he missed. No dust on the inside.. its clean clean clean and still smells like new plastic. It has a stock motor and Tamyia ESC. Cheap because he wants to upgrade his current setup and to have a local buddy to drift with.

Good deal, right?
I've forgotton all about gear adjustments and setups. I know this rig is setup for touring, what kind of gears am I looking for for drift? more.. or less teeth? I got to play around and Drift an e10 and I've got to say that its not hard at all so I'm not very timid with the experiance.
The electronics are a little diffrent from when I did things. Speed controlers when I last used them were pretty basic and analog and it used a servo to determin speed. Do I need to buy a transmitter with a reciver seperately? or can I just plug them right into the new fangled Electronic Speed Controlers, charge up an battery & go? What will i need?
I can make my own drift tires out of old spray can caps.

I know I wrote a book for you guys, but thanks for helping.

Flame away ^_^