RCU Forums - View Single Post - New 35% Edge
Thread: New 35% Edge
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New 35% Edge

I'm sure there is a 35% Edge thread somewhere in this forum but I was too lazy to go back more than a few pages looking. In any case, I've been sitting on this kit since about April and sort of figured it was time to get started on it. It's one of the 4 prototypes that were parceled out for pre production inspections and possible changes so the colors will likely not be what arrives with the production planes. Work kept me from getting on this sooner but assembly and first flights will follow as time permits and this thread grows. The usual top notch quality and parts fit is evident from the moment you open the box. Carbon fiber wing tubes front and rear will be supporting the wings.

A couple of basic question answers: Length, 93" tip of rudder to face of cowl. W/S: 102.5".

My plans are to use a 100cc twin since I have several not in use at them moment, although an 85cc single would be more than enough for it. That's been proven already. Anybody need a new 3w-106 with the Cactus/Salas performance upgrades? It's one of too many 100's I have laying around.

So I ordered one of Tom's hardware kits since him and I usually use pretty much the same components, along with five of the new Hitec 79 series servos to drive everything. While I was at it I figured it was time to try out the A123 batteries so I also ordered one of Tom's 123 starter kits. Picked up a real sexy tailwheel from J&J and if it works out well I'm going to try and talk Tom into carrying them. Slick stuff, but not cheap.

Pictures below with a 100cc twin in front of the cowl to prove this isn't another of the 28% planes. The pictured engine is likely not what will be used on this plane since Tom has some new twins arriving soon.

Edited for Post Assembly Notes

This is written after the assembly of the kit was completed for those that are looking at this kit as a future addition to their hanger. The fit of all the parts has been excellent and nothing has been the least bit difficult to assemble. The production kits will be even easier and faster since some of the things I had to do on the prototype kit are already completed for the buyer in the production kits. She is truly easy to assemble and it all comes together nicely!

In a way this 35% Edge bears a similiarity to the 41% Giles. Although it will fly very well a bit nose heavy it will fly and land a lot better balanced at a more neutral location. The best way to avoid being nose heavy will be through early planning of component locations prior to the actual assembly. Using a twin will have more nose weight than a single, so a big single may be the preferred powerplant for this baby. My 100 weighs in at 5 lbs. 2 ounces with spark plugs and no muffs or ignition. That's about as light as a 100cc twin gets. With a throttle servo and ignition battery ahead of the tank, and the rudder servo in the tail, mine came in slightly nose heavy. Early component location planning will avoid that. Think about moving items you would normally place forward a little more aft. Knowing this now I would have installed some items a bit more aft in the beginning, saving myself a little time and effort in reloctaing stuff.

Before you start installing components think about what you really need versus what you really like. Do you really need that 2.5 ounce choke servo up front? What about that heavy aluminum spinner? Is there another that would be lighter and still look great? How far back can you install your ignition battery? How far back can you install your flight batteries? Do you really need a pair of 4,000 plus mAh batteries or can you use a pair of 2,500 mAh or so batteries instead? Can you move things back from the firewall or tank compartment to behind the wing tube? These are the things that will make this plane soar above all the rest. Early planning will eliminate the need to cut openings in the covering to re-locate items more aft. Everything can stay in the main radio compartments and make the c/g if you think about locations. It will fly extremely well a little fat or a little nose heavy but obtaining a good weight and slightly neutral c/g will set the stage for absolute excellence of flight. The difference between a having a good time and a "WOW, THAT WAS HOT!!!" kind of thing we might say. If you like flying 3D, you definately want one of these!

Now that you know to plan for more aft component installations, let's get on with the program. If you've got this kit on order just about everything thing you need to know is in here. If it isn't, all it will take is a question to get an answer. Feel free to chime in as you desire, or add experiences and pictures from the assembly of your own kit. Anything I've presented in text or picture throughout this thread is approved for re-use and/or re-print by anyone as long as any excerpts are kept in context.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37864.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1040774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38040.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1040775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66999.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	118.7 KB