RCU Forums - View Single Post - fiberglass guys making stringers.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 03:13 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fiberglass guys making stringers.

ORIGINAL: JakeDW

We are talking two diffrent things a glass boat with wood incased in glass will rot at some point thus building it out of something lighter ect is good not lack of skill.

Now if you are talking a wood decked boat ect than yes natural wood grain stained out ect is very nice and you need the skills to pay the bills for that.Every plug will still most likely be built with wood.

We are talking a glass RC boat that we want as light and as strong as we can get it that will last not a Wood deck Miller 18 ft v drive.

Jake
I didnt mean to say making things in glass is less skillfull what i meant is theres a lack of skilled wooden boat builders nowadays as it takes yrs to train someone to do it propperly and wood been so expensive comes into play also,but reading what i posted i can understand how you saw it like that.Theres a lot more involved where wooden boats are concerned than using glass though i have to say,almost anyone can lay glass and resin its not that hard joke .Wood wont rot if looked after ,in fact some wooden boats last longer than glass,ive seen many large boats scrapped due to osmosis setting in within 15 -20 yrs of been built so glass isnt as indistructable as you might think and once osmosis sets in its an expensive job to treat it.It needs just as much maintenance as wood in my experience ,20 yrs in the boat building industry mainly wood as that was my job been a chippy.Lighter than wood ? that depends on the wood i supose and the scale of boat i know i can make a wooden model lighter than a glass one for sure.Anyways moving on sounds like you got a good bargain on ebay,i actually like purple for a boat,it looks great with some yellow detail on there and shows up awesome like that,i had a plane in those exact colours and it was a real head turner and you could see it for miles.How about a few pics of it.
Mart