RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)
Old 10-20-2008, 06:09 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Be sure to practice on a lot of scrap so that you get the feel for it before committing to virgin foam, it takes a little practice to get it right, and don't sweat it if you find yourself sanding a bit more on your first few planes.

I fly nitro and electric, each has their advantages and disadvantages. With nitro, for people that have not delved in that area, there is much to be said about the feel and power to weight ratio they tend to deliver. The plane itself is designed differently with those due to the vibration, you tend to get longer flights with it then electrics and refueling all day long maximizes your stick time at the field. It's drawback, it's very messy and you have to dial in the carb, which can take a little bit of time to do now and then. Electrics on the other hand, there is no mess, but you gotta stay much more on top of things with battery care or they will quickly become toast. In some ways I like the quite nature of electrics, in other ways, something is missing in comparison to nitro, feel wise that I'm trying to pinpoint a word along. Both will be around forever, and it's really cool to have affordable options regardless of which way you lean towards.

Something to keep in mind for those that are moving from nitro to electric, weight is much more critical on an electric set up, a 10 pound plane would take an extremely expensive electric set up, so it's best to begin with your power system of choice to begin with, then decide how much weight it can pull by analyzing the thrust ratio.