RCU Forums - View Single Post - Manual gas pump sticking and oil in new Tygon tubing.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Manual gas pump sticking and oil in new Tygon tubing.

ORIGINAL: karolh

This is a two part query with the first being, my Hangar 9 Ultra manual gas pump works well but if unused for a few weeks is very difficult to crank initially when put back in use. Why is this and how can I stop it from happening as it puts quite a strain on the cranking handle which I am afraid will break one of thes days. I use a similar pump for glow and it works perfectly.

Secondly, some time ago I bought some Tygon tubing and put it away in a plastic Zip lock bag for future use, and now on opening the packet I noticed the tubing was oily on the outside and had droplets of an oil looking substance inside. How could this be as it was all clean and dry when put away. It's a mystery to me.

Karol
Tygon is a compound of several materials including vinyl and plasticizers. Some of these plasticizers can leech out of the material when left over time. Sealed up in your bag, the plasticizers can't escape and are still visible on the line. Unless your fuel line is overly stiff, it should just fine to use.

Have you ever noticed how vinyl binders and other soft vinyl products get hard in time. Well one reason is because the plasticizers leave the vinyl leaving it stiff. Same happens with Tygon in use. Some gasolines will tend to make it stiff, some more flexible.