RCU Forums - View Single Post - Brodak Pathfinder- Any Lessons Learned Out There ??
Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM
mikeainia
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brodak Pathfinder- Any Lessons Learned Out There ??

ORIGINAL: sepierce

Hello to all the folks who flew the original "Park Flyers". I've enjoyed a low key re-interest in Control Line flying over the last few years. One of my most interesting new planes is the Brodak Electric Clown. But that's a story for another post.

The newest box of balsa I've acquired is the Brodak Pathfinder. I like the modern stunt look of the plane with the simplicity of being a profile. Plus, there are a few P40 events I could make with this ship.

Do any of you have any lessons learned, or scars healed you could share with me about getting this bird ship shape? My plan is to use a fire breathing Fox Q-40 (late 1980's vintage Quickie 500 engine with pipe) for P-40 events. I also have C/L versions of the LA 40 and 46 as well as the really strong running ST-51. I was planning on 60 foot lines, but will be ready to slip on the 70 footers if the lap times are too fast. I've also had the best luck with the round 4 oz Sulivan plastic fuel tanks plumbed and pressured as I would an RC engine. Like Grasshopper, I am still seeking the nervana of the elusive 2-4-2 break in any engine.

I was planning for a long friendship with my 2 year old Tutor II. That plan came to a dusty end when I came out of a wing-over about 8 feet below the planned 6 foot exit altitude. I also have a Top Flight Nobler with an RC version of the Thunder Tiger .42. This is the BEST C/L ship I have ever owned. But, it isn't for P40. There is also a 35 year old Ringmaster with an even older Fox .35. It's front end has been re-built more often than Pamela Anderson's.

Any thoughts or learned experiences on the Pathfinder would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Pierce
[email protected]
I can only comment that the Q-40 Fox will NEVER make a decent stunt engine - especially if you are seeking a "4-2-4" (I presume you meant) break. The Quickie .40 was designed to run at one speed - VERY FAST - on 9 inch props. It was so fast that many areas outlawed it for Q-40 racing shortly after it came out. It doesn't even idle with the RC carb - it just shuts off.

ANY of the other engines you mentioned would be fine. Well, except for the .35 stunt. We have one Pathfinder flying in our club, with a K&B .40, muffler pressure, 11-5 or 11-6 APC props. Runs very nicely and will easily haul 65 foot lines, probably longer.

I would personally start with the LA-46. These seem to be pretty much "plug and play" and have good running characteristics - including the elusive 4-2-4.

Let us know how it goes

Mike @