RCU Forums - View Single Post - SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread

Had time to work some quality time on the MB

Finished the tail section now.
Comparing it with my friend Leo, SM obviously used two different stabiliser fixing methods.
He has one where it is fixed with grub screws through topside of stabs to the stab joiners.
Mine has to be bolted from inside the fuse, a nut is already provided in each stab half. For me it is OK, as I have no transport problems to leave the stabs fitted to the fuse. But it would take a whole lotta work to remove them for transportation....

Completed all wiring, inclusing parts of the www.flugmodellbau.de light set, a blinking red beacon light and a steady white NAV taillight.
Tied all together with spiral wire and tied to fuse inside with tiewraps. They end in 2 X MPX green connectors (one female, one male, in order not te get mixed up!!)
Had to lead two lighting ground wires via one pin, as I was short of one (12 pins in 2 connectors, 9 needed for 3 servos and 4 for the 2 lights makes one short!)

Placed the strakes in place with silicon bath sealant (tranparent). I masked it off with tape, leaving about 2mms bare around and on the strake it self. De-grease well before adding the sealant. Dip Your finger in a soap/water mixture and wipe the excess sealant off, then remove the tape right away carefully. Do not leave it till the sealant has dried, as this will give an ugly result.
After some hours drying, they sit solid like a rock to the fuse, while still very easily removeable with a sharp knife.

After finishing I made my thrustworthy "hangar rash" protection tubing from watertubing isolation tubes. I always protect my larger models in this way, it saves a lot of dents getting these big fellas from Yr shack to the car and field.

Completed linkage from servo's. I copied the provided rudder horns and thus made a double fixture on all surfaces. A bit more bulky, but I like the added safety they provide. An M3 aluminium "fork" with a large 3mm pin connects to the longer/thicker servo arms. I ran out of ideas to install the rudder servo and also used the bath sealant to glue it in place. Before scrub the servo side that has to be glued with Scotch Brite. The 8711 just fits barely!

I need to buy some paint touch up colours and get the horns and linkage into matching colours. I emailed SM, but his painter obviously does not work with RAL numbers, so I have to make a good guess.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73348.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1070759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13746.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1070760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66985.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	42.4 KB