RCU Forums - View Single Post - WOT Break-in, step by step.
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 04:37 PM
j_blaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT Break-in, step by step.

*** WARNING - treat this break-in method the same as all others, if something bad happens, too bad. its not the manuals fault or mine. WARNING ***

i have used this method on 5 motors so far with nothing but perfect results. i tried the other methods with mixed results but this has worked out best for me. every time i do it i am waiting for there to be a problem but motor after motor i see this is the best way to break these motors in. try it if you want, laugh at it if you want, argue how good or bad it is but i am sticking to it 100%. i decided to write this up after another race weekend went by and i have yet to have any motor problems cost me any racing, while others around me were not so lucky.

You will need:

1 new motor, or several if you like.
1 full tank of fuel, 125cc or 150cc depending on buggy truggy (not sure on gt tank size but just fill it up)
1 500cc bottle of fuel, 2 bottle fulls if the motor has a ridiculous amount of pinch.
1 glow igniter
1 fully charged receiver pack
1 fully charged tx pack
1 set of ear plugs
1 set-up starter box
1 temp gun
1 really hot hair dryer

1. Install new motor into car with clutch set up and set mesh.
2. set car onto starter box with no wheels, just hubs (to avoid fly aways), put on ear plugs.
3. after heating motor with hair dryer to over 200c start motor
4. slowly open carb with trigger at the same time richening (counter clockwise) the hsn to keep wheels from spinning
5. when carb is all the way open, keep richening needle until wheels stop but motor continues to run, very very rich.
6. check temp
7. lean HSN 1-1.5 full turns to get temperatures to start to go up
8. when the temperature of the motor reaches 180 degrees richen mixture 1-1.5 turns (equal to the amount you leaned to get temps up)
9. while temperature is dropping, top off tank. check temps until they read 120. after you refuel the rpm's may lower and cut off motor, to avoid this open fuel tank a bit to let it regulate pressure again.
10. repeat step 7 until temperature reaches 190 this time, then go to step 8 and 9.
11. repeat step 7 until temperature reaches 200 this time, then go to step 8 and 9.
12. repeat step 7 until temperature reaches 210 this time, then go to step 8 and 9.
13. repeat step 7 until temperature reaches 220 this time, then go to step 8 and 9.
14. repeat step 7-9 stopping at 220 degrees until tank and bottle are empty.
15. let go of trigger and massage hand, you've just been holding the car at wot for the last 20 or so minutes, it may be tired.
16. motor is ready to be track tuned, maximum performance is still a gallon away but the initial break-in of motor is now complete.

the car never comes off the box, the temp gun never leaves your side, the radio never leaves your hand and in less than 30 minutes your motor is ready to race and will turn over on the starter box. good luck. at the end of the last tank you can lean out the hsn till it runs clear at wot then richen it 1/4 turn and start to tune for track from there.

here is a video of the rich cycle of this break-in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAhO3ohjT2Y