RCU Forums - View Single Post - G-Pete's Ziroli P-38J Lightning build
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: G-Pete's Ziroli P-38J Lightning build

Scotsman,

Do you think a stringer between the forward ends of the flap arms that have the pins sliding in the tracks will help with kepeing the pins in the slots and with any binding that could occur if the flap gets cocked sideways at all.

For that I will make the prototype, if there is a binding a additional stringer will be attached.

Tough to protect against any twisting that the flap may do with aerodynamic forces, that too could cause some binding.

Even with a 10 degree twist at the trailing edge (near impossible) the offset on the sliders will be only 0.035 inches twist. The play supposed to be 0.065” …

What materials are you thinking of for the flap arms, tracks and pins?

Flap arms 1/8” aircraft ply, Tracks 1/4” aircraft ply the pins 1/8 aluminum bar stock.

Are you thinking actuation will be about the same as the Model Airplane News plans, less the second control linkage to the flap itself?

No, it will be servo actuated with a 2 inch arm.

I wonder if anybody has pictures or sketches of the full scale P-38 flap hinges and mechanism?

I have – will post them later

Are you using the same degree of flap for amount of extension as the full scale?

The extension – scale wise – is the same, but the degree is less. I'm here limited by design and materials. If I go and replica the full scale mechanism then the flap setup gets too heavy.

It will look like the full scale, I doubt anyone notice the 12 degree off compare to the full scale.

at-6texan, be patient pretty soon there will be more info and pictures…

thanks

Happy landings

G-Pete