RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)
Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
norm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Hello Toreo,

Here is some info on engines, I am still convinced that the FA100T is the best choice for this plane, besides the 90R3 is an absolute No No for the simple reason that the power output is only 0.75HP!, it is simply not powerful enough. I own one and it sounds nice on Idle and that is all. It is unable to "positively" pull a plane...I have it installed in a Sopwith Camel (double wing able to lift an encyclopedia) and fly like @#$%*&^%$ to say the word.

The FA100T develop 1.6HP according to Saito vs the FA90TS that develop 1.0HP. You gain 0.6HP ovet the 90 and once you set the 2 needle valves you have a great performer. There is a definite advantage to have a seperate needle valve per cylinder because multi cylinder engines never burn equally. I have experience with the FA200Ti, the FA90R3 anf the FA450R3, all multi cylinder and each cylinder burn unequal amount of fuel...some lean, some rich and only one good....

Nevertheless those engines are spectacular and having a multi engine is always a good thing. You can set your FA100T by tuning each cylinder to a good "ear tuned" setting and fine tune with a thermometer (probe type) to check each cylinder head temperature / exhaust gas temperature to obtain peak temperature setting and then rich the mix by 1/4 turn to cool temperature and maintain peak poerformance. Once you have this set up it is very rare that you will have to play with the mixture again. You do the same with the idle mix setting. Good luck with your engine and I stay tuned to hear this.

Normand