RCU Forums - View Single Post - Free flight construction question
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2003, 02:10 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Free flight construction question

You'll be covering with dry paper so it doesn't matter how long you take to do the job. However you WILL want to wait until it's all covered and the glue stick has dried for the 4 or more hours before you mist the tissue. It'll shrink and if it doesn't do it all at once the warps will be horrendous.

For the fuselage just use the glue stick for about 3/32 along the edges. Don't use any in the center areas that are sheeted. Let the mist shink it tight. Less wrinkles that way.

The Sig tissue is fine. Try to use it so there's a pleasing color scheme. Or go to the LBS and see if they have something more to your liking. The usual cheap craft tissue WILL work with the glue stick method but when you mist it be very careful. That stuff is only one grade better than toilet paper and you know what THAT is like when wet.

Once misted be sure to prop the surfaces up so they get even airflow to ensure it dries evenly or it can warp badly.

Good luck. And I hope you make it to that free flight scale stuff. It's a very fasciating branch of the hobby. I'm on my spare 'puter thanks to my primary one going bad or I'd attach a pic or two of my rubber old timers to help fan the fires.

Please feel free to PM me with anything further if I can help. Us free flighters are a dying breed and we need to help each other out if at all possible. And do a search at google.com for "free flight web ring" to find a whole universe of this hidden discipline.