RCU Forums - View Single Post - Free flight construction question
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2003, 04:09 AM
kdheath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free flight construction question

This covering thing can get really involved. I have used the glue stick with fine results. Be sure to get the Uhu purple (permanent) stuff.

Another way ( the one the Sig plans suggest) that I mostly use, is the two coats nitrate dope on the model. Then I have a frame made of two canvas stretchers from the the craft store. I put the tissue between the frames and clamp the frames together. Then mist water or rubbing alcohol on the tissue and let dry. You have preshrunk the tissue. Now cut a piece to suit what you are covering and attach it around the edges with small brush loads of acetone and rub the tissue down lightly, stretching it fairly smooth as you go. Cover the bottom, then the top. You can use fine sandpaper, a razor blade, or an emery board to trim the tissue. Take it sloooowwww and easy for ggod results.

Moisten the tissue again. Pin flat parts down while they dry to head off warps. Even though the tissue was pre-shrunk, if you get it fairly tight, it will shrink nicely and not have the power to cause as many warps.

Then I like to air brush 2-4 coats of thinned, plasticized dope over the tissue. Gives a nice gloss.

I don't care a lot for the tissue in the Sig kits, but it is OK. Good tissue is available from Indoor Model Suppply, Aerodyne, and Thomas Designs, among others. Plus they all have lots of neat stuff for indoor or outdoor FF rubber. The Guillow kits are found all over, but they really need lightening and simplifying to be good fliers. The above dealers plus Peck Polymers, Dare, Campbell, and Herr have some nice kits of all kinds.

Zowee, that's a lot!