RCU Forums - View Single Post - CMP F4U Corsair 50 Build Log
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 AM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: CMP F4U Corsair 50 Build Log

Challenge #3: Wing-fuse join

You will notice that there is little guide as to where to drill, glue the dowels etc. so a lot of measurement is required. Dry fit everything and measure 2-3 times from all angles before drilling and glassing in place.

Tip #1: To locate the holes for the 2 wing bolts start with the belly piece, drill the 2 access holes and then mark on wing and ply connecting piece. Drill with 4mm bit all the way through the wing, the fuse and ply inside the fuse. Then you have to enlarge the fuse-ply holes to 5.5mm for the blind nuts to fit.

Tip #2: You need to drill 2 holes in the LE to insert the alum dowels. Do not use the blue-gray camouflage line as a guide for the middle of the LE as I found it is not true on all places (e.g. left and right wing at root) - use geometry instead.

Wing halves: I didn't want to glue the 2 halves permanently as I might have to do some fixing in the future, but this is a personal preference and not a recommendation. I dry-fitted the aluminum tube in the 2 halves and marked the one where it fits less snuggly - I epoxied it to that half. The wing halves are held together with a wide tape (and the wing-fuse bolts and dowels of course). This has been tested on Corsair #1 and never had any issues, on the dreaded crash the wing broke at the beginning of the gull curve area near the fuse without the 2 wing halves separating.

Ply connector: This is not ..ahem.. the best quality ply you can get, it will not split in 2 but it will wear around the bolt holes, and you will definitely get fuel residue on it making it soft. So I kept the original piece but covered it in a thick layer of epoxy, removed the covering on one of the wing halves and glued it on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47068.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1099429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67113.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1099430