RCU Forums - View Single Post - LI Po Voltage cut off
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Fliprob17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LI Po Voltage cut off

General LiPo Info - The best way to take good care of your packs, and avoid ever hitting the low voltage cutoff is to time your flights. Fly for a small amount of time, maybe 4 minutes (depending on the mah rating), and check the voltage of the pack. Then adjust your flight time as necessary, maybe in increments of 30 seconds to a minute, while continuing to monitor the voltage after each flight. When I land and check the voltage, I want the pack to be right around the manuf. rating. So on a 2cell 7.4volt LiPo, you want the voltage to be right around 7.4volts (3.7volts per cell). This is conservative, but will extend the life of your packs and if you run into a little trouble trying to land, you know that you have a little time to get it right before draining the pack too low. Hitting the low voltage cutoff on the ESC is not something you want to do on a regular basis, and not a device that you want to use to tell you when it is time to land. For what it's worth, I typically turn them off, or set them for a lower cell count then what I am actually flying to prevent the low voltage cutoff from chiming in and potentially losing a plane. After about 3 or so timed flights, you know about how long you can safely fly. Then you can set your timer and never have to worry about hitting the low voltage cutofff mark. Just my 2cents.