RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pizza Box Flyer
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pizza Box Flyer

Ok, well, I just gave my new PBF its first test flight (no official maiden flight yet). I saw a single pic posted by Microbuilder and figured, "Eh, it looks simple enough!" So I went and bought a sheet each of 3- and 5mm Depron and cut the thicker one in half and glued the halves together at their edges after cutting notches in one edge for a vertical stab/rudder and corresponding grooves in the stab. I glued it in. I cut off the ends of the square (actually a very very vague rectangle) and turned them into elevons. Then I glued a long piece of hard, strong, 10mm square wood (not sure what kind) to the underside of the fuse/wing to act as a stiffener/motor mount. The last step was to install electronics and a power system.

That's exactly where I have problems.

I canniballized my Slow Stick for its motor, ESC, servos, and rx, then attacked my Axe CP for a rudder servo. After a day and a half of searching for my 1.5mm hex wrench (finally found behind the piano) I put in my linkages (at 11:00 last night) and tested it out. My S400 radio has v-tail mixing but not elevon, so I've got my ailerons and rudder switched around. It's confusing but I'll get the hang of it. Maybe.

The setup: (if you spend a lot of time on the Badius or Slow Stick threads you may want to skip this )

BL outrunner, 1850 Kv 140W
Electrifly Silver Series 25A ESC
2x JR tiny servos (SM15?)
1x Axe CP servo
JR RS6UL receiver
Thunder Power 950mAh 3S batt
GWS 9x7 prop

The test flight conditions: -2*F, snowy, too windy for my Yak (which handles wind well)

The flight report: So I got outside, fired up the S400, plugged in the batt, and did a range check before arming the throttle mostly because I didn't want to have to chase down a plane in this weather. I fed in some throttle, realized in a second that the wind was going 2 different directions, then watched as my creation hopped up off the ground. I immediately tested the "rudder" which was actually the ailerons and found that they serve very well to turn. The rudder was responsive as well. Now, with a plane like this, the wind can grab it very easily. It ended up in the snow on its back, but at least it didn't hit the street[:@] The water is drying out right now. Nothing lost, nothing broked, nothing damaged. I'm happy.

All in all, I'm very impressed with my spur-of-the-moment build. I see a few more possibly coming, as the total material cost was under $10 This is probably going to be my much-awaited FYF (Front Yard Flyer) if I don't kill it with snow first