RCU Forums - View Single Post - Badius Owners Club III
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

Well, I keep crashing straight down going real fast and no damage has yet befallen on my motor or prop. I like this little thing. I was flying in the street in front of my house and I was able to keep the thing in the intersection with little difficulty. I agree with you o the rolling thing but I've increased the size of my rudder and added two more vertical stabs on the sides of the fuse to help this. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I'm having no difficulty controlling mine, even though my radio only has v-tail mixing. This means my ailerons and rudder are switched around. Tricky but manageable.

Temps here are supposedly warming up, but until we hit 0 degrees F or so it's all relative... It's been in the -20's for about a week so flying has been limited. Oh well.... I got gloves, a nice coat, and 14 years of dealing with this cold. I'm only concerned about my lipo and the foam airframe freezing up and getting wrecked, and the fact thatit's just windy enough to make flying difficult. I WAS, however, treated to a nice surprise earlier: The PBF was dialed in and flying perfectly straight on takeoff, with no adjustments needed. This was good because gloved fingers and trims don't mix well[X(]

I'm shocked to have found a plane more snappy than my Yak, and I'm going to do something great for my next flat foamie: I'm gonna take the Yak's exact measurements and build them in flat foam so the resulting plane has the same WS, length, chord, control surface area, etc. but it'll be made of blank, flat sheets of foam. maybe it'll work, maybe not. If I've learned anything from flat foamies, it's that as long as you have a good CoG and light enough wing loading, they fly[X(] 34"x10" foam board in 3mm and 5mm thicknesses is available at my hobby shop for $3 a sheet, so I'm going to bum some money off my parents and stock up next time I'm there