RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hellcat Build with 250cc Radial
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 03:10 PM
flyn2high
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hellcat Build with 250cc Radial

The milling machine is really cool. This is my second one. It was not as expensive as you may think. The first I got off of eBay and it was too small to do anything useful. This one in the photo below I got from a small company in China. I think I was their second customer and I had to do all of my own R&D work to get it to run properly. It is well designed and the electronics is great but they did not know how to get the mechanics and electronics working together. Anyway I made my own bench and the big enclosure around it. Coolant fluid sprays out on the endmill and drips down to the base, when it is cutting metal. This coolant is 85% water. Then it drains into a bucket that has a pond pump to recirculate it. I covered the inside of the enclosure base with two layers of 6 oz glass cloth and resin to make it water proof. My main business is with computers and mechanical engineering so the electronics and software was not too much of a problem. Attached is a photo of it when it first arrived and after I got it set up. It was still nice and clean. The part shown is for the tail wheel assembly that I made for a friend. This required 3D machining where the tool is moving in three axes the same time. If you design the part using a 3D cad program, there are other programs that can create the complex tool paths almost automatically.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56931.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1112855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15474.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1112856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63368.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	37.5 KB