RCU Forums - View Single Post - Diesel or glow? Is diesel better?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 12:41 AM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diesel or glow? Is diesel better?

G'day oily handers. Well I took the Stick in the photo a couple of posts back out today and gave it a fly with its diesel converted very second hand Magnum 46XL. As I had not run it for some months I tried a slightly different approach to starting.

Firstly I filled the tank but I did not connect the fuel line to the carby. I then gave the engine a few drops of fuel down the carby wide open. Next I applied a "port prime" to the side of the piston (I have no muffler on it at the moment) and with my finger protector on, gave it a "smart" flick. It fired first flick. I primed again and it fired again after a couple of flicks and this time ran on the prime in the crank case for about two seconds. Time to fit the fuel line.

Then, with the radio on, fuel tank connected and throttle wide open (because I had forgotten) a prime and one flick had it roaring away. Some minor adjustment to the compression and we went flying.

The flight was fine but I did discover that the low end needle is too rich and I need to sort that out next time.

The other two blokes with me were impressed at the power, relative lack of noise (for an engine with no muffler) and relative lack of mess. No worse than any other two stroke but probably stickier with all that castor.