RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don Smith B-36
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 PM
dag214

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Smith B-36

ORIGINAL: Bucshot

I purchased a set of Don Smith's B-36 plans a few years ago and I'm about to building. I'm looking for anyone who has built the plane that can answer some questions I have about constrution techniques and engines.

Thanks,
Rich
Not to try to steer you away from building the plane, but I have built a few Don Smith planes. Take your time and look at what you might want to modify. His plans for his b-29 has you cutting the main spar so that the retracts can go into the nacelle. Many people re-design the wing because if it. I designed my own 257" B-36 because no one had a good design.

Hope you do build a B-36, just take your time and look at how everything works. Remember having 6 motors hanging at the trailing edge of the wing really screws up the CG on the plane. The nose looks long, but if you measure the moment arm from the tail to the CG, then to the nose is is close to 51/49, then you add the V-stab, and H-stab, you are already tail heavy, then add 6 motors 8% behind the CG and the main landing gear 6% behind the CG you end up with a huge amount of ballast in the nose.

Good luck and PM me if you have any question.

Thanks, DAG