RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hunter Twin Build
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM
5150Cat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hunter Twin Build

Ok so here's the latest update. I talked with the guy I got my parts from. Asking him about the drives and some more info.

He stated the same thing you did Matt. He said he has numerous pairs from RCM, Kanello's and MHZ.....some for over 10 years. He basically said they are "scale" drives so you need to run them "scale". He suggested just a stock inline twin and to keep the mph somewhere between 40-50mph and they should last forever. Said they weren't meant to take huge amounts or HP. Said to keep the rpm in the 10-14k region and they should be fine.

I like the idea of more speed with two single engines.....one on each drive and eliminate the gear box. But I think for the ease of starting, tuning and fuel stuff I'm leaning towards the inline dual into a gearbox. Sounds like I should look for an engine with more torque than rpm's for this setup since the drives and box are all geared up.

Here's the specs on the engine Bonzi has:
Horsepower: Approaching 8 HP
(with Quiet Power Tuned Pipes)
RPM Range: Approximately 3,500-16,500 peak
Cylinders: Twin (2)
CC: 50.8
Weight: Less than 7 pounds
Length: 10" (back of recoil to end of crank shaft)

They have 4 different levels of modification depending. I'll shoot them an email now to see what would get me the closest to what I'm after here.

Pretty excited to get these drives though.

The technical and mechanical side of me still has to wonder if these drives could be upgraded at all. Maybe the gears out of better material or something? It just would be nice to have a set of gears custom made for these things and have a bulletproof drive capable of considerable speed. I do realize though that scale cannot always match the performance of the full sized counter part.
But I'm still curious.......

Mike