RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hunter Twin Build
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
5150Cat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hunter Twin Build

Matt,
Sweet. I keep saying thanks but the amount of information you're giving me is taking any hesitations away that I may have had about doing this boat perfect. It's just cool to have a hobby where people are so willing to give info and pass things along. Pretty cool.

At any rate here are some pics. I don't know if you can see but one of the drives has a black o-ring and the other doesn't between the drive and the prop shaft. The one o-ring that's even in there is screwed up enough it can't be doing anything......not sure if this is a leaking point or not. I didn't see any oil coming from there but the guy had these things bathed in oil for the trip over from Florida.

As for the flex cable. I do see in some of the pics he changed over and has a strut type configuration mounted up in the center of the hull to bridge the gap there. I'll look at doing something similar to that and keep flex cables going from motor to box and from box to drives. Thanks for the heads up on the reversed cable too.....would have surely spaced that one.

I will be calling Chris next Ebay sale or next payday to get some props coming. Premature since the hull isn't here but I don't want to waste any time on this build. Thanks for that hook up! What would you recommend for a couple of props.....maybe those that Phil used and another for different conditions or something? I'd like to have a couple on hand just in case.

So I'm taking that you use a thicker motor oil like Mobil one or something and then add the Lucas oil additive as well? Or are you using a thicker type oil? And should I spray all the oil out thats in there now and refresh the drives totally with new oil? Or just empty them and refill? Seems like I'd want to clean out all the shmagma from anything that might be in there and start fresh......but maybe not?

And my silver donuts where pretty thrashed. Going to get them powdercoated or polish them up.....not sure which yet. The bearings were thrashed also. Ordering new ones of those from Boca tomorrow. Looks like he had tried to get them out with a torch and failed. ( So I'll score new ones to make everything run smooth.

I'm really hoping the one drive that's been run will hold out. I have no idea how it was treated or how much use it's seen. Keeping my fingers crossed there.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13771.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1130304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66605.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1130305