RCU Forums - View Single Post - Loaded Question: Why is it that rc pilots ignore flight physics?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loaded Question: Why is it that rc pilots ignore flight physics?

Another point that I'd like to clarify is this:

I'm not implying if you don't know about the basic principles of flight physic that you will crash more often. Nor am I saying that knowing them will make you the next national champion of the skies. What I'm getting at is more of the point that pimmnz made where having a baseline knowledge not only gave him the skills to improve rapidly but has made his hobby more enjoyable 10-fold because there has been less frustration during the initial stages of the hobby.

Within my club my goal has, and is to expand on our memberships and to share the joy that this hobby brings to me and those around me. But all to often frustration sets in so fast because individuals assume getting to the level of being able to confidently fly solo has to be easy. And for my part, it was good that I had an extreme level of tolerance or I too would have thrown in the towel and walked away. But now after understanding some of the basic principles of flying, I fly much more confidently and have even been approached at the field and had numerous great conversations with members about "how" I've learned. And in my experience at the field, no one has looked at me and asserted that I was 'better then them' or belittled their skills. As a matter of fact most were thankful that I had passed the information on to them. And some have mentioned that it would have been nice if they'd have know that a long time ago. Very positive interactions, all of them.

I guess I'm of the opinion that taking a bit more time to learn basic flight principles (that at the time may seem boring) will make any new fledgling pilot that much better, that much faster, and that much more happier in the short run. And it also may spur them to pursue more after the fact, and lead them in a whole new direction!