RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another brushless 'myth', lower KV = more torque
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Another brushless 'myth', lower KV = more torque

Yes, I forgot about the number of turns. So in your example, you may have 1/2 the current (based on winding resistance only), but at twice the number of turns, the same torque is applied in either motor. And that matches up with, as you say, the winding resistance not coming too much into play. So something else must be going on there.

So I assume the reactance has more effect at turn on, or locked-rotor, than I thought. So if the reactance is lower for the 10000kv motor at full speed, it is probably still lower than a 5000kv motor at low speed, and therefore the current is higher and as P=Current squared x Impedance, it still seems like the higher KV motor will honk from a dead start. Oh well.

Battery end.....I take it that if a battery of infinite capacity was used, a capacitor added to that side whould have no effect? So I take it that it's an effective way to get more from a real world "limited" battery.

Switching issues....I'll bet. Nasty when you get two turning on at the same time effectively grounding the battery.

And the ESC has built in current limiting? I always wondered about that. Does that mean you can safely use a high power motor with an ESC designed for a low-power motor (to some extent)?

Oh....excuse me.....this thread's getting derailed (by me) and I'm asking all kinds of electric newbie questions......maybe I'll come up with some questions and start a new thread about "how to pick motors and match ESCs". Thanks for all the info to date.