RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Size Dumas Boat Club
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Size Boat Club

I spent a little bit of time last night and worked on my props I've collected for the builds.

These are old vintage O&R props I came upon. They are bronze and come basically in raw form with some balancing performed on them from the factory.

Metal props this size had been extinct until this last year Dumas started to offer their old JG 1" props like I mentioned earlier.

Staying with the first picture, you'll see the first prop as original, the second I have stoned down to 220 grit, the third is hand polished to check my progress with the stones, and the fourth is finished.

I still need to bush the two front props because they are bored to 5/32" and need to come down to 1/8". They are also slightly larger than 1" at 1 1/8" and a tad higher pitched. All four came with the purchase, and I'll be trying the larger ones also when it comes time to test.

If you're more interested in learning how I do my propwork, wander over to the General boating and look for the "Balance and Sharpening" prop sticky at the top where you can read the thread and see where I go more into the process.

You can see the stones in the background, along with the oil cup I dip in when they are used. I brag about it because it's a very good way to polish out if you're going to be doing a lot of props yourself.

The brass tubing behind the props is my bushing material to stuff the two bores that are still large.

I know it isn't a boat which you probably would rather see in the picture, but it is a crutial step in getting one going if you're bound to stay with a copper bronze prop instead of being tied to just a single variety plastic one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16566.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1142965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52836.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1142966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99798.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	69.0 KB