RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dave Platt FW-190 Project
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2003, 12:24 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dave Platt FW-190 Project

Werhop, I had to make sure I still had your E-mail address, you slipped my mind. I'll put that out to you tonight. If memory servse mecorrectly the first one I sent camback because It was to big to deliver. I've made some lower DPI scans and one of them sould get through. I'll send them tonight.

I have added pictures of mine on the ground to the members forum here on R/C universe. My main concern for you with a G-2300 is ballencing, the G-2300 it is considerably lighter than the S-2500 about 10oz (if memory serves me). This is a list of what I did to ballence mine without adding ballist:
- All bulkheads where 1/16 thick with four 1/8 X 1/64 marine ply stips going crossgrain, two on each side of the bulkhead.
- Removed sheeting from hori stab..
- Sheeted forward of wing TE with hard 1/16 balsa.
- sheeted entire fuse with 1/16 competition grade Balsa. This gives 1/8 thick balsa forward of the wing TE and 1/16 aft of it.
- Mounted engine servo in engine compartment.
- Mounted mixture control servo in engine compartment.
- Mounted onboard glow in engine compartment, this includes batteries.
- Mounted fixed Tail wheel, did not do retractable.
This yeilded a 12.5# plane after ballencing. With all these changes I am about 6-8oz heavier in the nose than I need to be which would allow me to add the stab sheeting and retractable tail wheel back on the next one, this one was just a test bed (that has lasted 15 years). But the paint aft of the CG would have to be countered with ballist in the engine compartment. As time went on I rebuilt the wing, spacificly the landing gear supports, to better handle the side loads this model sees when landing using lift vectoring.

If I can get a good day soon I plan to get my first flight with the moki and cowl inplace, to this point all flights with the moki have been without the cowl, looks terable!

I've included all this info. For your benifit, use it as you wish. I figure you will need to add 16-24 oz. To the nose of a built to plans model with a G-2300 for power, now that can be put in with a scale gun kit, cooling fins behind the spinner, etc..

Fly'em all and let god sort'em out.
Joe