RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESC/Motor interference with 401 Gyro
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 03:29 PM
jdhughen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESC/Motor interference with 401 Gyro

I have a 60 size H9 spitfire converted to electric. (e-flite Power 60, Phoenix 80A, 5000mah 2x3cells). Using Futaba CAP10C, 2.4ghz. I use a separate 2700mah batt with switch circuit for the servos/receiver, the center wire from the BEC is disconnect as I'm not using lipo power for the rec/servos. The plane flies great once you get it in the air but have had problems with ground handling so decided to add a gyro on the rudder to assist in more scale like ground handling and take-offs. I have used futaba 401 gyros on squirrelly tail draggers and a twin with rock solid success but they were all nitro models. This is my first electric convert. After I installed the gyro I did some test and noticed some very strange and disturbing behaviors.

1. Anytime the esc/motor "chirps" or "beeps" the rudder has short but violent flutters in sync with each "chirp, beep"

2. Once the motor rotates, after RPMs get over approx 2500 you can see the rudder to start behaving erratically. With the gyro in "rate" mode, the rudder will flutter and as the RPMs increase the flutter becomes more violent and throws become larger, by full rev (approx 7500, with 15x10E) , it's shaking the tail and deflecting 3/4" in ea direction. If in "heading Hold" mode the rudder will vibrate slightly but then start to drift to the left as the rpms increase eventually reaching/holding full left deflection. With the gyro in OFF mode the rudder is rock solid at all RPMs.

There is obviously some interference being induced some place. The gyro is mounted in the fuse at the CG point and is approx 8" from the ESC and 11" from the motor, and directly behind the Lipo location. I have included a diagram of the layout, the power wiring, and a pic of the gyro mounting. The Gyro is mounted using the foam tape provided by futaba on a small platform attached to the main battery board.

I've read about twisting the wires and using ferrite chokes. Other than that are there any other ideas on how to cure this problem ??

thanks

Joel Hughen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65089.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1163470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86530.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1163471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24284.jpg