RCU Forums - View Single Post - STAR WARS Tie-Fighter Interceptor Build?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rule of thumb for CG on flat elevon planes??

I have the Tie-Fighter complete and will take some pictures with my phone. It came out pretty big but thats the cool part of it. I used pretty thick styro foam i got from home depot. If this works I will clean it up with some thinner foam used in foamies and use thin carbon fiber rods for the front canard. I plan to use transparent covering for the canard to make it less visible and help keep the original look.

It is about 3' long and about 1' 1/2 tall. So far it looks pretty cool but it wont mean nothing if it wont fly. I am totally making this off the top of my head. But if it does work it is Very simple to make again.

As for power I have a E-Flight 450 motor and 20amp speed controller. For the prop I will try a 12x6 and see how it goes. I pulled the motor from my E-Flight Edge 540. On the Edge I used a 11 x 3.8 SF and it worked out great. But for this thing I wanted to try a larger prop since it was a big larger. So fa the power feels pretty strong, I just hope it has enough to tug it with all that drag. I set it on the tail nose up and it had enough power to take off vertical pretty quickly. So was happy to see it pull its own weight.

I will take some pictures tomorrow and test fly it and see how it goes. I will probably hand launch it if I can find a good spot to grab it by. Below is the actual model I made it after. Nothing about it should fly but I think with some messing around it will work. I will sure as heck keep trying until I get it down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81919.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1166976