RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch built questions
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Gearstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch built questions

Hi everybody.
My last little mod to a pre-built boat failed horribly. So I'd like to have another boat.
My cousin's husband's father is staying at there place for a few weeks. He has built real boats before, and has a naval archetict degree if I remember right.
I'm thinking I'll get him to help me plan out a hull, I'm sorta wanting a cigarette style boat.
I'm going to try to make a mold then lay a fiberglass over it.

I am pretty sure I would be able to make the hull. I'm not sure how I'd make it accessible, so you can open up a part of it.

I had an electric, sorta got tired of the batteries. Can you buy a kit, with say, a radio, reciever, and two servos, and everything else you'd need? Because I think I may get a weedeater engine or chainsaw engine. Then I can just gas it up and go. I would just need a servo to operate the throttle, and a servo for the rudder, right? And a failsafe of course.
I would build it so the engine is mostly exposed if possible, allowing for good cooling and accessiblilty.
It doesn't have to be to scale. I just want something simple and easy to build.
I'm more of a mechanic and I can weld, not an electronics person, so any help at all would be great.

I think a boat like this would be pretty neat.
http://sail-world.com/photos/Alt_850_MARAUDER_08.JPG

My old electric wouldn't even plane. It did when I changed the motor, for about 5 minutes until the little circuit board inside fried...