RCU Forums - View Single Post - beginner looking for RC helo
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 PM
arcavasion
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: beginner looking for RC helo

I also have just started with CP helos, and am by no means an expert (and dont claim to be), and compared to the majority in here, I am certainly a noob myself. All I can tell you is what I know about the 450 sized arena from a very fresh perpective starting out.

A couple things first:

Do you already have a radio and receiver or other RC experience? If not, this sized heli, RTF complete, will put you over budget, as it will set you back 300-375 even for the clones. If you are talking about something smaller, dont read anymore of this post, because "I know nothing" (Col Klink).

If you do have a bit more to spend, and you want to try a 450 size, and you are not opposed to building one (which can really teach you quite a bit about helo's in the process), look at the HK-450 from hobby city. Without receiver and radio, you are in at under 200 for trex 450 clone. The kit itself is 35 bucks. Add the electronics, and the not so cheap shipping, and you are still in under your budget for a real nice machine. If you need a radio and receiver, add t least 100 more. You will end up needing to know how to assemble them anyway. Mine was tad under 200 sans radio/receiver. Keep in mind that you will need parts, so consider this, as lack of parts will dampen your enthusiasm.

I did not build my first. I bought a complete kit for $370.00 (Shark II-450) shipped. Great (fantasic) Heli, but poor hardware, so I had to spend some money to upgrade hardware and buy a tail assembly which I did not need (could drill out broken screw), but I do have a nice align tail 450 metal assembly for sale.

IMHO, you are on a budget, and this is not a cheap hobby either way, but it makes no sense to train on an expensive model. You will break parts. You are setting your budget low.

I very well may end up graduating to the better known brands when I get better, but for now, a will drive the Subaru WRX, instead of the Audi S4, and not worry about the dings on the door in the parking lot.

Last thing is that you will end up spending money than you thought, its horribly addicting, although very rewarding. Welcome to the dark side.