RCU Forums - View Single Post - Prop type on your Rio 51
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Bbbutch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop type on your Rio 51

The speed isn’t that amazing. I know of at the least a hand full of guys on this forum that runs their RIOs faster than mine. The only edge I have is that I get to run mine almost every weekend and holidays even in the winter. Low 40-degree weather and winds over 12 MPH will make me think twice about going. But if I have something new to try out it's hard to stay home.

Hardware is far from stock. Dump the stock RIO stinger before it cracks and you loose your drive shaft and everything on it. A stocker Zen may not crack it right away but check around the area where the stinger tightens up around the tail shaft. It will crack off of the little hole with a slot. I have a Speedmaster stinger on mine that serves me well.
As far as the angle of the stinger it depends on the water and conditions along with how well I have the COG setup.
I hope that the 2814 prop isn't too much for a stock Zen. Mine is a full mod Zen. The prop hasn't been modified but I have balanced, sharpened and polished it. Always balance your props the best you can. Fewer wobbles equal more speed. Plus you don't shake your boat apart.

I don't run trim tabs. At least at the moment any way.

A fuel bag to replace the gas tank for a lower center of gravity, no foaming, no water gets in the tank when you wreck and you can put the bag in different areas to correct the COG of your boat.

Dual water pickups and exits for engine and exhaust.

I had to replace the transom board with a ¼” thick board after the force of the stinger cracked the original one.

That’s all I can think of right now.